Island Beneath the Sea


This is my first Isabel Allende novel. I tried House of the Spirits a long time ago, but didn't get into it. I am now going to have to give it another try as I really enjoyed Island Beneath the Sea. Interestingly, my fellow book lover colleagues did not like this book as much as I did.  
I enjoyed the stories well developed characters and Allende's landscape descriptions as we moved from Saint Domingue, Cuba, New Orleans and even Boston.  However, what really drew me to this book was the subject of slavery which has always been an interest as well as major disturbance. I marvel at the strength of people forced into slavery and thank goodness that slavery has been abolished in America. Now we need to continue to advocate for the people around the world who have been forced into slavery.